Google Apps for Education
Google Apps for Education (GAFE): What is it and how does it pertain to Grosse Ile Township Schools?
Google Apps for Education is a core suite of productivity applications that Google offers to schools and educational institutions for FREE. These communication and collaboration apps include Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs and Sites, and a GAFE account unlocks access to dozens of other collaborative tools supported by Google. All of these applications exists completely online (or in the cloud), meaning that all creations can be accessed from any device with an Internet connection.
After much research, Grosse Ile Township Schools embraced Google Apps for Education and registered the school domain (web address). After the domain registration was completed, Grosse Ile Township Schools was then granted the ability to administer all teacher and student Google accounts from an online administrative dashboard. Becoming a “Google School District” not only reduced expensive reoccurring licensee fees paid to major software vendors, but also opened the doors to enhanced workplace productivity and innovative classroom instruction and learning. Using GAFE allows administrators, secretaries, teachers, students, and other district staff members to “share” and collaborate on documents, teacher instructional PD, interactive presentations, data spreadsheets, video/audio conferences, informational surveys, student assignments & testing, internal/external work orders, calendar event scheduling, website development and much more with ease.
Another major advantage from going to Google Apps is utilizing the FREE “Google Cloud” to store and access data. This convenient online storage method frees up much of the district’s internal data storage, reduces timely network account management, and eliminates the added expense of purchasing and maintaining costly servers and disk storage arrays.
Explaining Google Apps
Google Apps is a core suite of communication and collaboration applications that allow students to work from any device on documents and projects.
- Once a student is enrolled into the district, they are automatically assigned a student ID number and corresponding e-mail address. That e-mail address is accessible within the 10 minutes of them changing their password for the first time.
- An "office suite" of tools -- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and much more -- Which offers the ability to work from anywhere, anytime, and any device.
- Due to the fact that all Google Apps are saved to Google Drive (i.e. "The Cloud") - students and staff gain the flexibility to work from any computer or device.
- Students and Teachers can seamlessly save work and collaborate both synchronously and asynchronously.
Logging into Google Apps
Below is a document which contains information and a quick How-to for logging into Google. This applies both at school and home.
Google Classroom Directions
Grosse Ile Township Schools is making a change in how we communicate our daily assignments to students and parents at home. In the past, “Moodle” was used to do this and now we will be using “Google Classroom.” The following instructions will help you access each of the “Google Classrooms” that pertain to your student’s classes.
GOOGLE CLASSROOM: HOW TO JOIN FOR STUDENTS
STEP #1 IS ONLY NECESSARY IF YOU ARE ACCESSING GOOGLE CLASSROOM FROM A SCHOOL COMPUTER.
1. Sign-in to school computer using your student identification number and your password.
a. Student identification number can be found on your schedule.
b. Password is your birthdate: xx/xx/xxxx format. For example: if your birthday is November 21, 2005 you would enter: 11212005
2. Open Google Chrome web browser and go to google.com. Type in “Google Classroom”
a. Click on the Google Classroom website and you’ll be asked to sign-in:
i. Use school issued e-mail: email@example.com
ii. Password will be your birthday – the same as you use to sign-in to the school computers. Look at Step 1B.
3. Once you’re in Google Classroom click on the + sign in the upper right hand corner and “join a class” will appear.
4. Click on “join a class”
5. Enter class code to join: _____________ (Teachers will provide you with this code)
a. Double-check to make sure you’re in the correct class!